The Grand Lake area is located in close proximity to Lake Huron, which is home to a multitude of dive sites, both shoreline and off-shore shipwrecks. Several of the shipwrecks are quite shallow. For locations of various shipwrecks in the Thunder Bay area of Alpena County visit the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Museum. This museum is located approximately 20 miles south of the Presque Isle Lodge on 500 W. Fletcher Street in Alpena. The museum preserves a national treasure of nearly 200 historic shipwrecks in and around the bay. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.thunderbay.noaa.gov or call 989. 356.8805.
For diving in locations near Presque Isle County contact the following:
- 1. Great Lakes Divers on 301 N. Third Street in Rogers City. Great Lakes Divers offer recreational and extended range wreck diving charter opportunities from Alpena to Whitefish Point. A full-service dive shop with sales, repairs, air, nitrox, trimix, rentals, PADI and PSAI training. For more information contact the shop 989.734.7590 or visit www.greatlakesdivers.com
For diving in locations near Alpena County, contact one of the following:
- 1. Captain Mike’s Dive Charters at 7406 US 23 North, Suite B in Alpena. Captain Mikes’ 30-foot Island Freighter II provides divers with lots of room for donning gear and easy entry and exit from the water. Room for nine divers. Diving from Presque to Thunder Bay Island with extended range. For more information call 989. 619.1013.
- 2. Great Lakes Dive Charters can be reached at 989.356.2908 or by visiting www.greatlakesdivers.net
- 3. Thunder Bay Scuba at 413 South Ripley Blvd. in Alpena is open-round, weekdays 9 AM-5:30 PM, weekends Memorial Day to Labor Day 11 AM-4 PM, open by appointments as well. Air/Nitrox fills, equipment rentals, snorkel and dive charters, information center, and full-service dealer. For more information call 989.356.6288 or (888) 4-Alpena or visit www.TBscuba.com.
- 4. UpNorth Charters at 2961 Werth Road in Alpena has a 25-foot Sea Ray, dive ready, for up to 6 passengers. Captain Paul Labreeque is a 100-ton US Coast Guard certified master. For more information call 989.464.7241.